· To assist the Engineering leader in providing support for all production activity and site production operations.
· To maintain factory production machinery and equipment, ensuring that production downtime is kept to a minimum.
• Assist the Engineering team leader in providing a timely and supportive service to all of the site production operations, thus minimising the disruption caused by breakdowns and reducing their impact upon service level agreements.
• In liaison with the Engineering team leader, ensure that all jobs are prioritised in a manner that minimises disruption to production and facilitates the production process.
• Develop the skill base of the engineering team through the coaching, training and development of those not equipped with similar skills. Utilise the experience of others to initiate ones own personal development.
Continuous Professional Development
• In liaison with the Engineering Manager ensure an up to date knowledge of all new legislation and techniques concerning your sphere of employment and request training as appropriate.
Purchasing and Stockholding of components
• Through the utilisation of strong communication links within the Engineering team and the use of forecasting requirements, monitor and maintain stock levels of commonly used parts on the site and ensure all engineering requirements are fully met, year round, in a cost effective manner
• Responsible for the ordering of equipment and parts and for the autorisation of any single item to the value of £1000.
• Responsible for the safe storage and effective use of parts held within the site stores up to a value of £3-5000
• Ensure that all work is carried out to the highest quality and all working procedures are strictly adhered to.
Development of Systems
• Actively seek improvements to systems and procedures and continually strive to improve the way the department operates, highlighting any matter of safety, efficiency or reliability that could be improved.
• Participate in such ad-hoc projects that may arise from time to time, designing and fabricating kit as appropriate
• Ensure that all work is conducted in line with the companies high standards of hygiene and workplace tidiness
• Maintain all equipment in your possession to a required standard and advise of any repairs that are required thus ensuring an available supply of equipment to perform the tasks required.
Third Party Maintenance
• Principally, provide an advisory service to third party/off site packers with regards to their machinery and breakdowns and, if required, attend those sites and aid with the repairs to minimise downtime and disruption at those sites at which the organisation has an interest.
• Advise the Engineering Manager of Contractor requirements and facilitate their work on the premises.
• In the absence of the Engineering Manager/Leader, ensure that all systems and procedures are maintained and assume responsibility as required
You will be expected to perform such additional activities as your manager may reasonably request.
Health and safety responsibilities
Please refer to H&S Manual (Section C ‘Compliance Organisation’, Section C2 and/or C3) and check which applies to you (depends on the position and Job Band you are):
Band 6 (MTS, Apprentice) - section C3 – authority level 1
Support the Group Environmental Policy by effectively managing resources within your control (product, energy, water & waste) helping to minimise our environmental impact.
• Contribute to daily Top5 meetings (team communication sessions).
• Understand the performance indicators discussed in your Top5 meeting.
• To be open to new ideas and challenges every day.
• Learn and understand not only your own, but other team members' jobs as well.
• Listen, show patience and respect.
• Submit iDeas for Improvement.
• Take active part in improvement activities and workshops.
• Know and be able to identify the 7 wastes in your area.
• Respect 5S and standard work.
Qualifications and Experience
· Qualified Electrical or Mechanical Engineer
· 3/5 years’ experience within a production environment, ideally within the food industry
Knowledge and skills
· A sound engineering knowledge of production and packing systems
· Equally capable of independent and team working
· Planning and organisational skills
· Decision making skills
· Problem solving