Job Description - Application Engineer (INF0001U6)Job Description Application Engineer-INF0001U6Description Job Summary Individual contributor provides a high level of leadership, expertise in systems analysis, design application development and/or integration, and testing of complex systems applications to support business needs.
Provides guidance to others informally and formally leads teams on a project and/or program.
The focus of this position will be leading architecting, designing, developing, or integrating business applications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Evaluates complex client area requirements and processes.
Designs or prepares application system specifications.
Develops tests and implements efficient and cost effective application solutions.
- Leads or assists with issue resolution and on-going system maintenance.
- Acts as technical consultant to developers and/or business partners providing mentorship in all phases of the development, testing and implementation process.
Participates in instructing, directing and checking the design or applications work of others.
- Researches and evaluates new alternative solutions and/or architecture.
Recommends the most efficient and cost effective solution for the systems design including estimating costs as necessary.
- Acts as liaison and coordinates activities across IT, business areas and vendors.
Assists with relationship management and contract negotiations to ensure adherence to requirements.
- May participate in developing new solution recommendations in partnership with architecture.
- May lead the integration of vendor applications to existing applications.
- May hold the development lead or sub lead role on a project and/or program.Reporting Relationship Typically Director or above Skills Knowledge and Abilities 1.
Solid technical knowledge of high level programming languages, databases, interfaces, and familiarity with application program development alternatives.2.
In-depth knowledge of the system development life cycle and system and application program development technological alternatives.
Proven knowledge of client area's functions and systems.
Proven understanding of state of the art application development support software packages5.
Proficiency in at least one higher level programming language.
Proven solid analytical and problem solving skills.
Strong knowledge of interface design and user centered design methods.
Excellent communications and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with peers, IT management and internal/external business partners/clients.
Ability to manage projects and lead teams.
Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and other business related software systems or languages including but not limited to:
- Proficient use of SQL, Data Modeling
- Experienced with Apache Frameworks
- Experienced with Java best practices and design patterns
- Experienced with JEE Design Patterns and MVC
- Experienced with Maven
- Experienced creating and understanding UML Diagrams
- Experienced with Test Driven Development, e.g.
JUnit, Mock Objects and/or Mockito
- Experienced with Automated Load Testing, e.g.
- Understanding of JEE Applications
- Understanding of IBM MQ, IBM HTTP Server and IBM Websphere Application Server a plus
- Understanding of JEE Security, e.g.
- Understanding of XML.
JSON is a plus
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture, e.g.
SOAP and RESTful services
- Understanding of Mainframe System.
CICS, Cobol and Db2 a plus.
- Understanding of ACORD XML is a plus 11.
Preferred insurance industry knowledge.
Education and Experience 1.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent work experience.
Typically a minimum of seven years of systems analysis and application program development experience.
Some previous project leadership experience.
Applicable certifications preferred.
LI-MYJob Information SystemsPrimary LocationUnited States-Illinois-ChicagoOrganization Technology ExecutiveJob Posting Aug 15, 2019Unposting Date Ongoing