This challenging and exciting opportunity requires an ambitious Engineer who is currently operating as a Design Engineer within any area of the civil engineering, structural or geotechnical engineering sectors.
Our client is one of the UK’s largest specialist contractors, renowned for providing technically advanced and cost-effective design and build solutions to the civil engineering, infrastructure and construction industries. Their reputation is built on engineering excellence and a commitment to continual innovation, backed by a central technical design and R&D resource, they can deliver the full range of heavy civils, groundworks, site remediation, geotechnical and structural engineering techniques.
Due to continued growth, new investment and a significant increase in workload, our client has an exciting opportunity for a Design Engineer to assist in their further ambitious expansion plans, based from the Midlands offices. The successful candidate will have a relevant engineering degree and exposure to the civil engineering or ground and geotechnical engineering sectors looking to progress their career as a Design Engineer with a market leader.
* Add to the team whilst ensuring that you play an active part in delivering high quality design solutions to project specifications, business objectives and client’s key requirements
* To challenge and review all elements of designs, to be proactive and identify potential to reduce risk and improve opportunity or efficiency wherever possible
* To produce high quality material, identifying constraints and improvements which can impact on quality, whilst regularly updating project teams to ensure delivery timescales are achievable without compromise
* Actively promote and demonstrate the group’s core values through your day to day work, and look to co-operate and communicate with other staff across the business, engaging all relevant teams in the ideology of adding most value in every area of work to assist in the efficient and successful design of all schemes
* Working with the estimating and pre-contract teams to help control the build-up and timely submission of designs for tenders
* Prepare regular reports on design performance to assist in decision making
* Participate in regular review meetings with the relevant teams developing a pro-active focus upon client expectations and contract design delivery
* Co-ordinate and add design and value engineering at the tender and bid stage of schemes
* To participate in regular progress meetings for presentations to the relevant management
* Be an integral member of the design department
* Ensure that designs adhere to policies in line with business objectives, and ensure the company’s designs comply with legal requirements and best practice procedures
* Take responsibility for meeting your own targets, whilst managing risks effectively and delivering all agreed outputs within the company’s ideals
* To ensure that any issues ongoing as a result of any design improvement or change initiatives are managed effectively to the requirement of company procedures
* To liaise with other relevant individuals within the company as required
* Given that this position will further develop the successfully appointed individual’s career, our client only requires a minimal level of experience or exposure to the design of civil, structural or geotechnical engineering contracts, either from a pre-contract or operational delivery perspective
* Possess the ability to join an existing and established business, and contribute to various design areas in a manner with enthusiasm and drive
* Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, being able to relate to people at all levels in an organisation, and to establish and maintain respect both professionally and personally
* Possess an element of previous design experience or exposure from within the civil, structural or geotechnical engineering sectors
* Possess an excellent understanding of what is required to be a member of a design department in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to manage and deliver the daily required design processes
* Ensure maximisation of business return through design proposals, whilst maintaining and developing internal and external client relationships via high levels of service
* Be able to operate hands-on in a non-confrontational manner and thrive in a team-orientated environment
* Ability to promote alternative solutions through design and value engineered innovation, or implementation of new concepts
* Proven experience of communicating with clients
An attractive basic salary plus extensive benefits package is on offer for the successful candidate, along with career progression and security of work given the company’s commitment to growth, a significant forward order workload and extensive future tendering schedule.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, religion, belief or nationality
Benefits: plus benefits package