Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
An opportunity has arisen for the role of Product Safety Engineer in the Thales UK Optronics & Missile Electronics (OME) organisation. This role will directly contribute to the on-going development of the Land, Naval and Air product and systems response to emergent and changing Legislation and Standards.
The role holder will have suitable qualifications, relevant experience in engineering design/delivery and its lifecycle and be able to demonstrate appropriate behaviours and skills, The role will be responsible for providing support to the Safety and Technical authorities, the safety team and the wider organisation.
Key Responsibilities & Task:
The primary purpose of this role covers the following key aspects:
* Exercising duties in accordance with the requirements of Thales corporate governance
* Supporting the Safety Authority and Managers in the delivery and assurance of compliant products through the provision of their specialist knowledge in product safety engineering
* Demonstrating strong and active commitment to product safety engineering, setting and demonstrating high standards across all competency areas
* Identifying to the Safety Authority and Safety Assurance Manager any concerns regarding the safety of a product, or the application of policies and processes.
* To generate safety artefacts required to support the product safety argument, such as Safety & Environmental Management Plans, Hazard Logs and Safety & Environmental Case Reports.
* To facilitate appropriate hazard/risk identification and analysis, and associated evaluation and management activities.This will include functional failure analysis, Failure Mode & Effects Analysis, Fault & Event Tree Analysis.
* To develop and ensure fundamental product safety requirements are incorporated from an early design phase, and maintained throughout.
* To support other disciplines to scope appropriate safety functions that can be implemented.This may include looking at safety architectures and functional block diagrams.
* To support Project Design Authorities in achieving compliance with Legislation, Regulations and Standards applicable to the product(s).
* Act as the Product Safety point of contact for the project team, particularly in terms of collation of evidence and deliverables required from the team to support the product safety argument.
* To escalate issues to the Safety Assurance Manager (SAM) regarding the safety programme for a product.
* To provide input from a safety perspective to DDQS Design Reviews and to raise any concerns at the meeting.
* To attend Special Type Test Equipment (STTE) safety inspections and support the generation of STTE forms/reports in accordance with Chorus guidance, and ensure these are appropriately peer reviewed.
* To attend Project Safety and Environmental Committees and by default to record minutes and actions, as well as raising any concerns with the SAM.
* To contribute where possible to the improvement and continual development of the Thales Safety Management System and associated processes, and raise any potential improvements identified with the SAM
* To assist the WPM in generating reasonable bid estimates and recording ‘actuals’ throughout the programme.
* To peer review product safety-related artefacts generated by others in the team.
* To report on the status of safety programmes.
* To provide safety input to bid activities, and provide guidance as to the safety programme requirements
* Ability to manage multiple safety programmes, including scheduling and interacting with stakeholders.
* To support the development of Product Safety training material and to deliver the training.
* In depth knowledge of Product Safety Management Processes, and experienced in the implementation and delivery of Product and System Safety Engineering activities.
* Knowledgeable with respect to Product Safety related Legislation, Regulation and Standards
* Practiced in the use of hazard and risk identification, assessment and management techniques.
* Knowledge of lifecycle management, its requirements and application.
* Experience in accurately costing/estimating tasks.
* Experienced in developing the strategy for evidence based arguments.
* Ability to build positive and effective relationships with all stakeholders, including team members and customers.
* Experience of Functional Safety.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now