Payroll Manager Salary $70,000.00-$80,000.00 Monday-Friday; 8 AM- 5 PM This role will manage and lead the auditing of pay records, communication with employees, managers, HR, and outside 3rd party payroll vendors.
Focuses on coaching, coordination and delegation of operational work responsibilities.
This position requires an extremely detail orientated person with significant knowledge of payroll administration, including state and federal regulations.
The incumbent in this role will have the ability to read, interpret, and act on proper understanding of accounting, payroll, time keeping, and payroll tax rulings, policies, and procedures.
- Operations oversight, supporting the team on key deliverables
- Establish and maintain controls and procedures, establish and maintain workflow processes, monitor legal and policy and compliance changes and conduct periodic self-audits of payroll while keeping payroll data secure and confidential
- Develop standard operation procedures for payroll processes
- Assist in the workload management and prioritization of day to day duties and projects.
- Oversee processing weekly, biweekly and semimonthly payroll timely and efficiently
- Manage approximately 2-3 direct reports and 2-3 team members by providing training, expertise, guidance and support, managing team member workload and assignments, promoting development of team members and performing regular performance appraisals
- Optimizes the contribution of the team through coaching and mentoring in coordination with the Director of Payroll
- Champion of process improvements and Best Practice and implementation of them
- Monitor monthly, quarterly, & annual reconciliations for state and federal tax filings and W2 processing.
- Conduct and assist with quarterly and yearly audits (timeframe varies).
- Develops and prepares periodic payroll and financial reports for management
- Performs special projects and analysis as required.
- Participate in the design, testing, and implementation of system enhancements and/or new systems
- Escalate matters involving illegal activity, non-compliance to policy, and/or unusual or suspicious circumstances Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Business/Accounting or equivalent experience required
- At least 5 years of accounting experience
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) desirable
- Prior payroll tax experience and payroll audit experience required.
- Prior experience in payroll utilizing UltiPro or similar payroll processing system and time keeping systems preferred
- Team player, able to communicate effectively with internal and external customers of all levels
- Able to maintain data integrity through attention to detail and accuracy, prioritize and meet aggressive deadlines, and process, manipulate, and summarize reports.
- Able to execute a high level of decision-making authority and able supervise with minimal direction within legal requirements, defined policies, procedures, and best business practices
- Ability to adapt to highly variable and non-recurring situations requiring immediate attention
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills required
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, project management, decision-making and time management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Experience in system enhancements, upgrades, and implementation desirable We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit.
Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification.
We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.