At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people.
We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is transforming one of the oldest, most stable companies in America, into one of the most innovative and cutting edge.
Investment Products and Services (IPS) is our company's rapidly growing investment management business; building on our customers' trust, IPS is a $150B AUM "startup", driving change across the organization.
Our Technology unit is leading the way in transforming how technology is designed and used at NM.
We are reinventing ourselves, reinforcing our core values, while embracing modern practices and cutting-edge technologies, to enable our business to grow at an unprecedented rate.
We are looking for great people to help drive this transformation and shape our future.
Responsibilities: The Senior Java Engineer is responsible for designing and coding complex software products and services.
The Senior Java Engineer must be able to identify problems, understand and evaluate alternatives, and apply alternatives to deliver development and product solutions.
The team member will contribute to technology and product roadmaps, and then design, code and develop solutions to realize the deliverables.
The team member must be analytical and detail oriented.
They must be able to work independently and then also instruct more junior engineers and developers to achieve desired team results.
The ideal candidate demonstrates an exceptionally strong background in delivering complex Java based applications, where specific experiences include architecting scalable components, leveraging infrastructure and software capabilities, and also having critical viewpoints that can be quantified to influence architecture and solution designs on a large investment data engine.
Prior experience with ETL applications, databases and investments would be a bonus - where together with your exceptional Java application and component achievements you will experience continued growth delivering investment data solutions in new cloud-based technologies.
The right candidate will be fearless when it comes to business application excited by the prospect of working on our next generation of investment data products, delivering new business product features, and helping build the team's new tech stack expertise.
- 5 years of experience in Java Development
- Batch and near real-time data integration experience leveraging Java
- Code spectrum - python, scala, java, Bash
- Experience working with relational databases including DB2 LUW, MySQL, Sybase, DB2 z/OS
- Strong SQL - writing and reviewing complex SQL statements, performance tuning Desired Qualifications:
- AWS/Azure experience
- Relational database needed, MySQL
- Big picture approach - macro management needed only
- Big Data
- Previous experience working with cloud data solutions
- Experience with different engineering eco systems (Hadoop, relational, big data, complex data, mainframe)
- ETL and/or Informatica
- Unix/Linux scripting
- Data security experience
- Finance or Insurance Industry background
- Database administration R1: Understand and align to the business and technology strategy
- Maintain an understanding of IPS business priorities
- Ensure alignment proactively; escalate work not aligned with the strategy
- Understand the latest technology alternatives and apply them R2: Evolve technology products to meet and exceed needs
- Understand and contribute to the "full stack" of development (designs and products)
- Produce quality code, releases and fixes
- Contributes to standards for quality
- Convert business requirement algorithms to work products
- Participates in peer reviews
- Build medium to complex platforms and products R3: Deliver technology products according to business needs
- Build resilient products/features which are easily maintainable
- Optimize application development and product quality
- Solve problems and relate solutions to others
- Communicate to leadership and development staff
- Participates in peer reviews and QA on code and design R4: Collaborate in a high performing team and a strong technology community
- Mentor team members; understand strengths and motivations
- Hold accountable yourself, your subordinates, peers, and managers for failure to meet commitments
- Continuously grow his/her skills and technology expertise R5: Understand development budgets and resources, compliance, security and risk
- Proposes cost efficiency and manage costs
- Participate as required in any audit and compliance activities
- Consider risk and security as part of everything you do Non-technical skills (aka abilities)
- High sense of ownership
- Independent achiever
- Detail oriented
- Set and maintain high standards
- Problem solving
- Excellent documentation skills Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do.
Get started now We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 25946 Position Type: Regular Full Time Education Experience: Bachelor's Required Employment Experience: 6-8 years Licenses/Certifications: FLSA Status: Exempt Posting Date: 08/21/2019 - provided by Dice