Across HMRC, we are focusing on making this a great place for people to work and improving our employee experience.
It is an exciting time to join our team as it is at the forefront of this meaningful change programme that will support managers and all employees as we introduce and embed new HR policies.
You will primarily support our People Strategy to;
- Deliver the workforce we need through expert support for managers and senior leaders
- Improve people engagement and leadership capability
- improve the employee experience for all our people Civil Service Casework Team The HR Casework team provides professional HR advice on complex people matters to all of our people (employees, managers, partners and the wider HR community).
In addition, the team are developing a new Employee Advice Service which provides support for employees with workplace issues.
The service seeks to find creative and sustainable solutions that build productive working environments for all those involved in workplace conflict.
Job description The Role Our Civil Service Human Resources Senior Expert Advisors are responsible for providing specialist expert advice to support employees across HMRC across the full range of complex HR issues and in accordance with HR policies and guidance.
These are new high-profile posts where you'll be working in a busy environment, so we are looking for motivated, confident, capable and hardworking individuals.
The team delivers a high-quality professional HR service which includes:
- Collaborative working with other HR areas such as the Workforce Management Programme, HR Shared Services, HR Organisation Development team, HR Policy and Wellbeing
- Liaising with other government departments at cross-government events/workshops.
- Holding facilitated restorative conversations with employees and conducting workplace mediations
- Coaching employees involved in complex situations, providing complete, accurate and timely professional expert HR advice considering the wider business impacts
- Providing solution-focused support to all employees to enable early resolution of workplace issues
- Technical Coach for advisors on the team
- Improving manager and business confidence and capability by coaching through challenging workplace issues
- Liaising with senior partners regarding complex situations that have a significant business impact, to achieve sustainable solutions
- Working with partners and other experts to design and deliver approaches to resolve workplace conflict
- Following up to ensure that return to a productive workplace has been successful and sustained, identifying and supporting options further actions and interventions as needed
- Ensuring that cases are handled and decided consistently across HMRC and provides a good employee experience
- Planning, controlling and managing a range of work often with competing priorities and to tight deadlines, whilst maintaining agreed quality standards.
- Supporting the department with the handling of Employment Tribunal claims and liaising with relevant internal and external partners.
- Taking the witness stand as the representative for HMRC at Employment Tribunals as required
- Leading change activity
- Enthusiastically participating in the continuous improvement of professional delivery, looking to improve our service provision and promote the products and services of the team.
- Actively participating in Cross Government Civil Service HR activities and events.
- Supporting HMRC’s transformation and Building our Future locations programme.
- Undertake required ongoing learning and development to ensure our advice is aligned with current policies and employment legislation.
Key Interactions: Your key relationships will be with employees in HMRC.
To be successful you will need excellent communication, listening and coaching skills to support all employees in a new way of resolving workplace conflict, taking early positive action to resolve situations.
You will work with and through others, in particular with learning, well-being, legal, policy, and business colleagues.
Meaningful partners include Business Heads, Solicitors (Government Legal Department), HR Business Partners, HR Directors, HR Shared Services, other Civil Service Departments, Chief Digital Information Office and Estates and Support Services.
Essential Criteria You must be able to demonstrate
- experience within the last 24 months of working in a public sector or private sector HR environment
- a working knowledge of HR policies/employment legislation
- working experience of successful coaching interventions
- working knowledge of employment law (Note it must be clear from the employment history/current job that you meet the essential criteria).
Desirable Criteria Experience of direct line management of people within the last 24 months.
Experience of delivering workplace mediations or facilitating conversations between parties to resolve workplace issues.
Experience of representation and/or a working knowledge of Employment Tribunals Additional Information Travel and overnight stays may be required across the UK.
Qualifications Minimum CIPD Level 5 (or equivalent experience) or working towards.
Applications To apply, please forward your CV to Toni-Lisa Walsh