SEN Support Staff
Are you a specialist Teaching Assistant looking for a new position?
Would you be keen to work within a SEN environment with challenging pupils, but rewarding results?
Do you have primary and/or secondary SEN experience?
TLTP are working with a special needs school based in Walthamstow to recruit a special needs teaching assistant.
Purpose of the job
* This position is working in a specialist SEN school so you will need to have experience as an SEN Teaching Assistant and be able to start immediately.
Main duties and responsibilities
* We are looking for special needs teaching assistants who are enthusiastic, confident and logical individuals in order to make good progress with the child. The school is very specific on the type of character they are seeking for this role.
* Special needs teaching assistants will be collaborating with the classroom teacher to define appropriate activities for the pupils in relation to the curriculum
* Assessing children who have long or short-term learning difficulties and working with colleagues to identify individual pupils' special needs
* Liaising with other professionals, such as social workers, speech and language therapists, physiotherapists and educational psychologists
* Working closely with parents and guardians
* Organising learning outside the classroom in activities such as community visits, school outings or sporting events
* Special needs teaching assistants will need to assist in severely disabled pupils' personal care/medical needs
* Administration, including updating and maintaining records of pupils' progress
* Attending statutory annual reviews or other related meetings, such as Looked After Child (LAC) reviews, regarding students with a SEN, which may involve reviewing Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans
* Receiving in-service training
* Behaviour management
* Special needs teaching assistants will need excellent behaviour management skills
* Be able to build positive relationships with young people and staff
* Team Teach or similar restraint training certificate
* Good knowledge/experience working with children with SEMH within an Special needs environment
* Special needs experience working with secondary aged pupils
* It is essential that you have experience working with Children with Autism and Challenging Behaviour. Special needs teaching assistants will need to be Restraint Trained with Team Teach or something equivalent. Alternatively you will have training in positive handling techniques.
If this position could be of interest and you feel you would be a great fit for the position, please apply or email